Back to all concepts

The Four Pillars of Integrity


Integrity: (n.) the quality or state of wholeness, congruence, alignment

When you ask most people what integrity means, they'll usually say “doing the right thing,” which has a moral or ethical orientation. We're going back to the word integrity evolved from: integer, defined as "whole" or "complete.," which has no moral or ethical connotations. We thus define—and more importantly, operationalize—integrity as energetic wholeness. Energetic wholeness leads to full aliveness.  When we are "in integrity," we're energetically whole and fully alive.

The Four Pillars of Integrity:
(1) Radical Responsibility
(2) Feeling our Feelings
(3) Candor
(4) Impeccable Agreements

Dr. Kathlyn Hendricks, The Hendricks Institute, is the creator of "The 4 Pillars of Integrity." 

Integrity Boot Camps (in-person!) 

Coming this Fall

We'll be offering Integrity Boots Camps—3-4 day intensives in California near the Bay Area— starting this fall. Jim Dethmer, Diana Chapman, and CLG team members will be taking groups of 20 through a no holds barred experience for courageous leaders who are willing to take the first step to risk it all for their aliveness. These will be rare opportunities to work directly with our co-founders. There will be an application process to make sure that everyone in attendance is ready and willing for what will be a challenging, edgy, and next-level playful experience. No rock will be left unturned in our integrity adventure.

Sign up to be notified when the details are firmed up

For an in-depth exploration of The Four Pillars of Integrity, listen to this podcast, which Shane claims was one of the best podcasts he's ever recorded...

Pillar 1: Radical Responsibility

We take radical responsibility when we move from blame and criticism—being at the effect of the world—and shift into taking responsibility for the results we're experiencing. Not taking responsibility is a sure way to dampen our sense of aliveness; victim consciousness is energy intensive. When we shift from victim consciousness by taking responsibility (for our results), we initiate sustainable change within, which sets the stage for creating sustainable change in our families, communities, and the world.

Pillar 2: Feeling Feelings

Most of us have been socialized out of feeling our feelings. It takes a massive amount of energy to repress and suppress our feelings, energy that could be more generatively spent in all sorts of ways. Not only does feeling our feelings result in reclaiming this leaked energy, but it often reveals the wisdom contained within the emotion, empowering us to respond from presence instead of threat.

Pillar 3: Candor

Another way we keep ourselves from our full aliveness is withholding (thoughts, wants, judgements, opinions, and so on). When we reveal versus conceal, we often immediately feel our sense of aliveness increasing. We also become an invitation for others to express themselves with candor, which results in more connection, creativity, and collaboration.

Pillar 4: Impeccable Agreements

An agreement is anything we said that we would do (or wouldn't do). Clear agreements include: who / does what / by when. One who is impeccable with their agreements keeps their agreements 90% of the time and renegotiates the the other 10% as soon as they realize they won't keep the agreement. Arguably the biggest single cause of drama on a team (or family) are unclear, unkept, or unmade agreements. Shoring up this massive drama tax leads to massive returns in aliveness.

To explore experientially, listen to this 10-minute meditation

Related exercise guides

Related meditations

Related posts